Dr. Richard Chess
Coordinator, Interdisciplinary Certificate in Contemplative Inquiry
Academic Programs in Contemplative Practice/Inquiry
- Contemplative Studies Initiative and Concentration, Brown University
- BA in Contemplative Psychology, Naropa University
- BFA in Jazz and Contemplative Studies, University of Michigan
- Contemplative Practice, University of Mary Washington
Wray, Amanda, and Ameena Batada.
"Contemplative Pedagogy: Equipping Students for Everyday Activism."
The Arrow: A Journal of Wakeful Society, Culture & Politics, vol. 4, no. 2, 2017, pp. 29-46.
"A Search for a New Way of Being in the Political Science Classroom: Contemplative Practice and Political Theory."
APSA Teaching and Learning Conference. February 17-19, 2012.
"My Memories, Our Memories." (Part 1) (Part 2)
Good Letters, an edited-blog hosted by IMAGE: A Journal of Art, Faith, Mystery, 2012.
"The Sabbath and Liberal Arts Education." (Part 1) (Part 2) (Part 3)
"To Make the Rest Participate In It: The Use of Contemplative Pedagogy in Holocaust and the Arts."
Honors in Practice, vol. 9, 2013, pp. 39-45.
"Walking Mindfully With Middle Schoolers: The Development of an After-School Slacklining Curriculum."
Journal of Undergraduate Public Service Projects, vol. 4, no. 1, 2015.
Research, News and More
- "Three Insights from the Cutting Edge of Compassion Research," Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley.
- "Can Buddhist Practices Help Us Overcome The Biological Pull Of Dissatisfaction?," Fresh Air interview with Robert Wright.
- "Cognitive-Affective Connections in Teaching and Learning: The Relationship Between Love and Knowledge" by Arthur Zajonc.
- "Consumption, Well-Being and Awareness" by Daniel Barbezat.
- "Contemplative Environmental Studies: Pedagogy for Self and Planet" by Paul Wapner.
- "Contemplative Practices for Anti-Oppression Pedagogy."
- "No Time To Think: Reflections on Information Technology and Contemplative Scholarship" by David M. Levy.
- "The Power of Concentration" by Maria Konnikova.
- "Reason in the Service of the Heart: The Impacts of Contemplative Practices on Critical Thinking" by David Sable.
- "Reflections on The Mindful Brain" by Daniel J. Siegel, M.D.